Smart Audio Playlists is a plugin made for WordPress 3.8/3.9 (and it will not work with older WordPress versions!) to create, edit and manage playlists with audio files. Plugin implements advanced playlist editor for adding local (uploaded) or remote audio tracks, playlists settings and information, terms for artist, genre or tags and extra heading content to be displayed above playlist. Plugin adds custom post type for playlists and two more custom taxonomies (genre and artist).
On front end, plugin creates playlists archives with extra archives for individual terms, single playlists pages where you can see full playlist information, cover image, description and most importantly: player. Playlist player uses HTML5 Audio support through MediaElement.js library (with fallback to Flash/Silverlight for older browsers). Plugin can show statistical information for tracks and playlist.
Plugin is fully responsive and tested with verious mobile devices.
Several playlists styles and skins for player control
Plugin has 4 styles for playlists built in, and it can use one of two skins for player control.
Create unlimited number of playlists with easy to use manager
Playlists management is based on WordPress normal posts management. You can have unlimited number of playlists and they can share audio tracks if needed. You can assign various terms to each playlist for filtering later.
Powerful playlist editor with tracks editing, settings and more
You can upload audio tracks directly using WordPress media manager, or you can add remote tracks. If you upload files, WordPress can get all the information from them, including images (MP3 supports this). You can assign images to each track any time.
On front end, get playlists archives, terms index and more
Plugin adds archive pages for playlists, with extra archives based on playlists and terms. Also, implements pages with terms index for easier navigation in cases when you have large number of terms assigned to playlists.
Theme Templates and Customization
Plugin needs 3 templates for theme to be able to display all the content generated by playlists and archives. Plugin includes own templates override loader and direct support for several themes and generic templates. But, for most themes, you need to add templates specific to those themes (WordPress limitation, every theme has own layout and in most cases you can’t mix templates from different themes). But, plugin has full PDF guide and 2 videos showing the process of creating templates.
Template creation process is fairly simple, but if you are not comfortable of doing that on your own, we offer you help in creating those templates. Just open new topic in our support forums, and we can assist with creating templates for your theme..
Plugin includes multiple template parts for everything, and it is easy to customize. Such customization requires knowledge of PHP and HTML. You can also expand plugins style CSS files to match closer to your theme.
If you use theme that has no templates and uses templates editors (Thesis, Headway…), we have information on that in PDF, but you need to also consult theme documentation to generate needed templates.
Supported audio file types
HTML5 Audio tag supports different audio types and this support varies from browser to browser, it depends on device and OS. MP3 is file type that now can be played through Audio tag on 99% of all devices and browsers. But, if you use audio file that is not widely supported, plugin uses MediaElement.js library that has automatic fallback and it can play almost any file on any device and in any browser.
Other Plugin Features Included
- Gather basic statistical information about playlists and tracks played.
- Includes widget to list playlists with sorting and other settings.
- Includes PDF for theme customization, user and developer guide in plugin package ‘docs’ directory.
- Support for Multisite WordPress mode, each website can set plugin on it’s own.
- Support for translation and includes POT file.
System and WordPress Requirements
- PHP 5.2.4 or newer
- WordPress 3.8 or newer
- When adding new tracks to playlist, WordPress 3.8 will not auto fill all the tracks data (limitation of the Media Manager in WordPress 3.8), you need to do it manually. In WP 3.9 this is working.
- If you have problems playing files, it could be caused by server issue: HTML5 Audio tag requires files to be served with proper MIME. If your server is not configured for that, you can find information on that in the User Guide PDF file.
- Before you install plugin, make sure you read all the PDF guides (in plugin ZIP package, directory ‘docs’) plugin has, to make sure you understand how plugin works and what you need to setup.
Version 1.0 / 2014.05.02.
- First version